HW: Hawkwind trivia, Elf and Hawk

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Thu Apr 8 16:31:20 EDT 1999

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999 21:35:53 +0200, Bernhard Pospiech
<bernhard.pospiech at HOME.INS.DE> wrote:

>Hi there
>
>At 19:20 08.04.99 +0100, Adrian Parr wrote:
>
>>Regarding the Hawkwind track 'Quark Strangeness and Charm',
>>previously listed as from Stonehenge 1977.
>>Yeah, i have doubts it was recorded there, as i do with 'Master
>>Of The Universe' and 'Welcome to the Future' from the Weird Tapes.
>>A possible alternate venue for these could be the Sonic Assassins
>>1977 gig.  Possible, what does anyone think on this?

I would think that it would be difficult to confuse a Hawkwind '77 live
recording with the Sonic Assassins performance, since Simon House has a
distinctive keyboard style quite different from that of Paul Hayles (and,
needless to say, the presence of violin on a track would confirm that it's
HW and not SA).

>For QUARK I do not believe that it was from the SA gig because Robert
>Calvert is singing this song and I think that he was a bit "over the top"
>during this gig. The song (and RC's singing) sound to "clean" for this
>special (and chaotic) gig
>
>I think that MASTER and WELCOME are not from the SA gig as well.
>Must be from one of the tours during the year 1977 (maybe Sonehenge)
>
>Bernhard

Is this known to be the complete track listing for the Sonic Assassins gig?
 Or were there more songs performed that never made it to tape? (obviously,
if this was the complete gig, there's no way that recordings of Master and
Welcome could come from it)

>23.12.77, BARNSTAPLE, QUEENSWAY HALL, 45/6
>magnu / angels of death / jam / free fall / death trap /
>awakening / over the top / golden void / instrumental

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com