BOC: Big Hair Night At Letchworth Pines

Brian Halligan bthalligan at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 12 10:03:12 EDT 1999

I said:
>> Firehouse was professional.  That's all I can really say.  I got the
>> feeling that if I had seen their previous show or their next show, it
>> would have been the same.  Never the less, the crowd was in their
>> fist-pumping glory.

Theo replied:
>'Course you could almost say the same thing 'bout BOC too, or any
>number of other bands.

It just seemed like the solos were taken off a record, where Buck
takes the structure and plays around with it from show to show.

Firehouse is one of that pathetic legion that
>includes Tesla, Great White, Warrant, Slaughter etc.  The most
>tragic thing is that these guys can play their instruments very
>well.  Their drummer was amazing--but it's all wasted playing such
>utter ---GARBAGE.  How come nobody can manage these groups, and put
>them in touch with some good lyrics?  With some decent material,
>Firehouse could be listenable, but obviously, a bunch of guys this
>clueless never will get the message.  Sometimes best to just keep
>sowing the same furrow, witness Dokken's last couple of albums, where
>their pitiable attempts to reinvent themselves fooled nobody...

There was a guy in a Tesla shirt in front of me who was in his glory.
He even managed to score 3 picks and the setlist....  I overheard some
people talking about the gig in the parking lot and a guy said that he
enjoyed Firehouse more, but thought BOC was a much better band.

>And
>these folks were hammered!  Lots of beer spilling, stumbling,
>fumbling etc.  Couples exploring the insides of each others mouths,
>and any projections from their bodies that they could get their hands
>on!  I felt like a voyeur...

I went to college in the Southern Tier.  There's nothing else to do on
a weekend....

>You forgot Flaming Telepaths!

Oh yeah.  A good run at it too.  Not as frantic as the one they played
at the New Hartford gig, but still great.

>BD did an incredible intro to it, solo.  Damn,
>I wish I had that on tape.  He kind of meanders around the fretboard
>in the same key, then finished witha downward progression that puts
>him right at the intro to Reaper.  This was killer!  Really pumped up
>an old tune...

I agree.  That was the best intro to Reaper I've heard him play.  I
watched the crowd for their expressions when Buck kicked into a song
they actually knew. ;-)  They were definatley into it.  Lots of people
dancing and grinding in drunken euphoria.

>> Brian
>I hope to make that show too, but I tell ya, this last one almost
>wasted me.  Didn't get home til 415!  I'm too old for this shit.  I
>got followed by a cop car for a couple of miles through the
>throbbing metropolis of Nunda and it blew my mind.  I was driving my
>little car like it was a 747!  Hard to drive so slow and keep your
>sanity.  I hadn't had a single drink, but I didn't feel like having
>my car searched either!  Sorry I didn't stick around to hook up with
>ya, Brian, but I knew I had over 2 hours of driving to get home.

No problem.  I wanted to get out asap too and beat the drunk drivers
to the road.  It's a good thing you didn't drink- a can of Bud was
$2.50!  Oh well, it got me through the Trolls at least.

Brian