Weird Tapes project update

Gekke Henkie bart at BUNDERSBOS.DEMON.NL
Wed Apr 14 11:30:31 EDT 1999

Wow, this project looks great to me...

Op 14 Apr 99, om 15:47, M Holmes schreef:

> It does look like there are around a dozen people interested in
> obtaining the tapes and a CD-R backup of these so if I can get in touch
> with Wolden, I'll ask for a quote for a dozen sets of the 8 tapes and see
> if we can agree on a price lower than the original 5 Pounds per tape plus
> postage.
Well a lower price is always better, but if it still is 5 pounds thats
not a problem with me.

[SNIP]

> I've also investigated how to package 'em and have found a source for CD
> boxes which will hold 6 CDs. These amount to the usual wide double CD case
> (such as was used for a release of Space Ritual). The middle section is
> adjusted to hold two CDs and the two outer trays, instead of being the
> usual CD trays, are replaced by the hinged double sided trays used for
> thin double CD's (as used for The 1999 Party).
This pakage is great! It also gives you the chance to make it a 6 cd-
set as a 5-cd set seems to be tricky.

[SNIP]

> Kevin had some ideas about cover artwork which looked good. There is the
> question of tracklists which are going to be quite long (and there'll be
You can also print an extra sheet with the tracklistings. It fits
easily in the box.

> five of them). The total printing will be the two CD back covers plus the
> five roundel stickers to go on the CD's themselves. That doesn't seem to
I am a little afraid cd-stickers. A friend of mine had some of his cd-r
backups "eaten-alive" by some some weird sticker glue!

> give a lot since presumably we won't want tracklists on the front cover
> and there may not easily be room on a roundel. I'm skeptical that an
> inkjet printer will be able to put 5 long tracklists on one back cover at
> a size which will be readable.
Even a laserjet will be doubtfull! ;-(

> It would be possible to print each back insert as double sided, though I
> haven't tried this for alignment in my small deskjet printer yet. And
> again that ups costs. The other question is what quality of paper to use.
> Photo paper works very well with that cartridge system but costs more
> (50p-60p per sheet).
Doublesided printing will give you a lot of work! Foto-paper for the
inserts would be nice..

> Finally we need to give some thought as to which CD-Rs to use for the
> actual backups. It's known that some CD-Rs won't play in older CD players.
> This varies from brand to brand as I understand it and also with the age
> of the CD player. I'm pretty new to this CD-R game and so would appreciate
> comments as regards brand selection. Again this will also have
> implications for costs.
There are special CD-R for music. They are more expensive though.

Well considering this project, it looks like an expensive operation:
Total price will be around:
8 tapes = 40 pounds
5-6 CD's = 10 pounds
Inners/tracklist = 5 pounds