Weird Tapes project update

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Wed Apr 14 13:03:18 EDT 1999

Gekke Henkie writes:

> Wow, this project looks great to me...
>
> Op 14 Apr 99, om 15:47, M Holmes schreef:
>

> > It does look like there are around a dozen people interested in
> > obtaining the tapes and a CD-R backup of these so if I can get in touch
> > with Wolden, I'll ask for a quote for a dozen sets of the 8 tapes and see
> > if we can agree on a price lower than the original 5 Pounds per tape plus
> > postage.

> Well a lower price is always better, but if it still is 5 pounds thats
> not a problem with me.

How about the rest of you?

> > I've also investigated how to package 'em and have found a source for CD
> > boxes which will hold 6 CDs. These amount to the usual wide double CD case
> > (such as was used for a release of Space Ritual). The middle section is
> > adjusted to hold two CDs and the two outer trays, instead of being the
> > usual CD trays, are replaced by the hinged double sided trays used for
> > thin double CD's (as used for The 1999 Party).

> This pakage is great! It also gives you the chance to make it a 6 cd-
> set as a 5-cd set seems to be tricky.

That's true, though I believe that the way we've tracklisted the 5 CD
set (see below) does put collections together in a useful way and that
this may not be so easy over 6 CD's. I'll give it some thought and take
note of suggestions though.

> > Kevin had some ideas about cover artwork which looked good. There is the
> > question of tracklists which are going to be quite long (and there'll be

> You can also print an extra sheet with the tracklistings. It fits
> easily in the box.

This is true I guess though inserts which fall out aren't as good as
using the stickers and box inserts.

> > five of them). The total printing will be the two CD back covers plus the
> > five roundel stickers to go on the CD's themselves. That doesn't seem to

> I am a little afraid cd-stickers. A friend of mine had some of his cd-r
> backups "eaten-alive" by some some weird sticker glue!

I've had trouble with "Pressit" stickers and Maxell CDR's. However
they've worked OK with Samsung CD-Rs for example. I'm sure we can figure
out a good CDR/sticker combination. The schtick usenet doesn't seem to
suggest that it's an endemic problem.

> > It would be possible to print each back insert as double sided, though I
> > haven't tried this for alignment in my small deskjet printer yet. And
> > again that ups costs. The other question is what quality of paper to use.
> > Photo paper works very well with that cartridge system but costs more
> > (50p-60p per sheet).

> Doublesided printing will give you a lot of work! Foto-paper for the
> inserts would be nice..

I agree. I did Kevin's cover for the Hawkwind Pink Floyd tribute on
photo paper with the photo cartridge and it looks glorious. Expensive
though and I'm not sure how easy it will fold to put the CD titles on
the spines. Some trials to be done here.

> > Finally we need to give some thought as to which CD-Rs to use for the
> > actual backups. It's known that some CD-Rs won't play in older CD players.
> > This varies from brand to brand as I understand it and also with the age
> > of the CD player. I'm pretty new to this CD-R game and so would appreciate
> > comments as regards brand selection. Again this will also have
> > implications for costs.

> There are special CD-R for music. They are more expensive though.

I've not seen those. Since it's digital media we're talking about,
what's the difference? Is the dye more attuned to the discrimination
range of the laser readers in CD players?

FoFP