OFF: "Music" CD-Rs

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Wed Apr 14 15:17:08 EDT 1999

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, Gekke Henkie wrote:

=> >From the previous messages:
=> > Its FoFP
=> > > Its Me

=> > > There are special CD-R for music. They are more expensive though.
=> >
=> > I've not seen those. Since it's digital media we're talking about,
=> > what's the difference? Is the dye more attuned to the discrimination
=> > range of the laser readers in CD players?
=> I'm not sure what the difference is. I just saw it in a shop. The price
=> is about twice as high as the cheapest CDR's I think. I'll try to find
=> out what the difference is.

The difference is basically that the consumer (i.e., "music") CD-R
blanks have a record industry levy built in to the price, ostensibly as
a compensation against piracy.  Physically, they are the same thing,
though flagged on the disc as comsumer, hence the proliferation of
warranty-invalidating mods for consumer recordable CD units to allow
them also to accept the less costly computer CD-Rs.

Cheers,

Paul.

NP: Gov't Mule, _Live... With a Little Help From Our Friends_

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

"I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time"
        --- James Marshall Hendrix