Weird Tapes project update

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Thu Apr 15 06:36:01 EDT 1999

DASLUD at AOL.COM writes:

> i dunno what kind of computer this'll be done on, but digitizing all of the
> tapes in one gulp will require an sh*tload of memory; could this part of the
> process be broken up between a few people? this will be one of the most
> critical aspects of this project (won't it?)

I've enough memory to write one CDR at a time which is really all that's
needed. I can digitise each track, cleam 'em up with Cooldeit Pro and
then put 'em together on the disc using either CD Creator, Feurio or
Cooledit.

Paul: do these packages support overburning?

Any tips on cleaning tape-to-CDR using Cooledit? I've not used that
package before.

> there are applications specifically for cd-sleeve composition/layout; maybe
> someone out there has it...i have a friend who does >>>this isnt necessary,
> of course, but such things do exist<<<... you could do a double-sided insert
> booklet pretty easily by laying it out the way the pros do it, each sheet of
> paper representing four pages...and those of you w/printers already know the
> difference in xpense twixt black & white and color printing (grin)

I have the templates for printing the cases but these are really just
for size and position on the paper. If there's anything else out there
I'd be interested in looking at getting it. Any info appreciated.

> but based on my own xperiences in the last year or so w/digitizing tapes and
> putting together a cd, depending on your machine(s), memory capacity will be
> a factor, even if you have a lot.

I've already done a "Touchdown on Planet Punk" Hawkwind CD-R for a pal
who likes punk. That was a full disc and I had no memory problems.
Possibly it's because I commissioned one of my hardware junkie students
to build the computer. One of the specs was that it should be easily
upgradeable, so if I hit limits I'll buy more kit. Right now it has 128M
RAM and a 10G hard drive. There are at currently 3 1G partitions which
are clear as workspace for this kind of stuff.

> man i recently was given all kindsa software i havent touched yet, related to
> such things, and what i'd like to do at some point is clean up some of the
> '70s hawkwind audience tape material i have and put together a set...to what
> xtent that's a pipe dream remains to be seen, he said, disappearing in
> smoke...

If you do get around to playing with such stuff then I'd be interested
to hear your experiences with it.

FoFP