OFF: "Music" CD-Rs

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Thu Apr 15 08:13:54 EDT 1999

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Andy Ball wrote:

=> For my 2 pence/2 cents worth I also believe this to be true on the "HiFi"
=> type CD recorders.
=> At one point the blank disks for these cost about 4-5uk pounds compared to
=> about 1uk pound for a standard blank CD disk.
=> However I believe(but not verified) that you can fool some of these writers
=> by inserting the more expensive disk in the machine, and then just before
=> hitting the record button, manually force the disk tray open(At your own
=> risk!)and then replace the expensive "music only" disk with a normal CDR.
=> The writer will then write quite happily.

Actually, that is one of the "mods" I'd heard about.  Inelegant, but a
money saver.

=> By the way, I would be interrested in the set of HW Wierd tapes. Just one
=> idea: Has anyone asked Wolden studios(or whoever has the tapes) if they
=> could make them available on CDR in the first place?

When I bought some Weird Tapes from Wolden years ago, I asked them if I
could pay *extra* and have them run off on chrome (type II) tapes,
instead of the usual normal (type I) tapes they use.  I got back a reply
saying that they wouldn't, citing the "lack of fidelity/bandwidth" in
the original recordings meant it wasn't worth it.  This sounded bogus to
me, but indicated that they weren't interested (at that time) in
"esoteric" formats for the Weird Tapes.

They may have changed their mind by now, though.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

"I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time"
        --- James Marshall Hendrix