OFF: Porcupine Tree

J Strobridge eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Fri Apr 16 06:50:59 EDT 1999

Cliff and Pam Wheaton writes:

> I've got "Stupid Dream"-it's well worth getting. I really like it!! very well
> done.
> I didn't, however know about the EP!!  What's it's title??
> Pam

The EP is Piano Lessons (one of the tracks) and a couple of other tracks
- can't remember which tho.    Kollectors stuff.

> Chris Stier wrote:
>
> > I noticed that Porcupine Tree has a new release out called "Stupid Dreams"
> > along with another EP.  Has anyone heard this yet, and if so, what are your
> > impressions?  I enjoyed the Sky Moves Sideways and Signify wasn't bad either.

This is, for me, rather disappointing.   Admittedly they were headed in
a clone Pink Floyd direction which Steve Wilson is ADAMENT he does not
want to go and instead has headed off in a kind-of Oasis - Radiohead
way.   Much more commercial and ummmmm well, boring.     The excitement
has gone, the variety, the tension - all gone.    What's left are some
very interesting and well written lyrics and a lot of nice guitar
background but not much else.     Good if you like that stuff but a long
way now from Sky Moves Sideways and Stars Die.    The latter is the
finest thing they did IMO but it's in a music style that Steve no longer
wants to travel - so....

However Virgin had it on their playstand and it's been well reviewed by
a number of quality magazines so he seems to know what he's doing.   I'm
planning to see them in Glasgow and, so far have heard only good reports
of the gig.  But they are from heavily biassed PTree fans so I'm still a
tad uncertain.    It could be the last time!

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk