OFF: Dumpy & Co: short review

Dave Berry daveb at HARLEQUIN.CO.UK
Fri Apr 16 09:45:58 EDT 1999

At 13:54 16/04/99 +0100, Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:
>     Haven't had these problems at either of the two Bedouin
>gigs I'be been at.

Oh good -- reviews here made them seem near the silly side of loud.

>But otherwise, I agree.  Loud enough to
>kick you in the diaphragm is good; loud enough (and badly mixed
>enough that you might as well be standing in a jet engine is
>pointless.

Somehow I exempt Motorhead from this.  Maybe this is because volume and
lack of restraint are their defining characteristics, and I know what I'd
be letting myself in for.  Anyhow, I don't go to Motorhead gigs any more!

>     (I apply this test to all musical genres.  I think it's
>genetic :)  I inherited a large chunk of my grandfather's
>classical LPs, which he always played at stupendous volume :)

You have to play classical music loud, otherwise you can't hear the quiet
bits ;-).

I read recently of a professor of music who developed tinnitus after taking
his 12-year old to see Smashing Pumpkins.  Apparently he's now suing
everyone in sight.  There's been a spate of scare stories about how modern
PAs are so good that people are putting their hearing at risk without even
realising it.

Dave.

Languages Group Manager.
Harlequin Ltd., Lismore House, 127 George St, Edinburgh, EH2 4JN, UK.
Tel: +44 131 240 6106.