OFF: Dumpy & Co: short review

Fri Apr 16 10:13:50 EDT 1999

On fre 16 apr 1999 14.45 +0100 "Dave Berry" <daveb at HARLEQUIN.CO.UK> wrote:
> At 13:54 16/04/99 +0100, Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:
>>     Haven't had these problems at either of the two Bedouin
>>gigs I'be been at.
>
> Oh good -- reviews here made them seem near the silly side of loud.

     Oh, they are _very_ loud :) but to the point that I find it
ridiculous.

> Somehow I exempt Motorhead from this.  Maybe this is because volume and
> lack of restraint are their defining characteristics, and I know what I'd
> be letting myself in for.  Anyhow, I don't go to Motorhead gigs any more!

     Motorhead are louder than Bedouin, possibly because they
can be :)  But the mix at Motorhead gigs I've been to was usually
a lot worse than that at the clubs where I saw Bedouin.  Motorhead
seldom sound good without earplugs, because that's what the soundman
is wearing!

> I read recently of a professor of music who developed tinnitus after
taking
> his 12-year old to see Smashing Pumpkins.  Apparently he's now suing
> everyone in sight.  There's been a spate of scare stories about how modern
> PAs are so good that people are putting their hearing at risk without even
> realising it.

     The PAs may be good, but the mixes aren't.  If the high end
is overemphasized because the soundman is mixing for his earplugs,
then it doesn't take a lot of brains to notice it getting painful!

Cheers,
Carl

--
Carl Edlund Anderson