OFF: Porcupine Tree & High Tide

J Strobridge eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Sun Apr 18 11:35:55 EDT 1999

Chris Stier writes:

> I've also noticed that Steven Wilson is part of the Incredible Expanding
> Mindfuck.  What is this all about and is this worth getting?

He is the IEM - it's his alter ego.   If you can get it it's probably
worthwhile.   More in the <what I think used to be called> "Krautrock"
style from what I remember it's a mixture of long heavy guitar riffs
and extended quieter wierd experimental bits with occasional chunks of
plunkety string stuff and swooshy noises and one very beautiful
acoustic track.   All instrumental.   I definitely prefer it to his
Stupid Dream style!

Also - if you are curious - he joined up with Fish (ex Marillion) on
Sunsets on Empire and the two of them crafted an excellent album
(except that I dislike Fish's singing style so much it's unlistenable-to)

> Also, does anyone have any High Tide for trade?  I'm looking for the Precious
> Carge or Interesting Times CDs (did they have some sort of live CD as well?
> Like a 3 song 60 minute jam for the BBC?) or any live material?  What is Pete
> Pavli doing today???

Not sure about the last bit but here's some info from the inner sleeve
of "A Fierce Nature" a collection of tracks released 1990:

"The original High Tide was one of Britain's most innovative
progressive groups and their two albums "Sea Shanties" and "High
Tide" are still rightly revered.   They were led by Tony Hill, one
of rock's finest, and most under-rated guitarists, who had previously
played with the legendary Misunderstood.   Sadly, the original High
Tide - Simon House (violin), Pete Pavli (bass),  Roger Hadden (drums)
plus Hill - was doomed to a premature demise and although House later
found fame in Hawkwind, his former colleagues were less successful.

Hill nonetheless continued to make enthralling music, although much of
his work remained unissued.   He and House were reunited in 1986 for a
third High Tide release "Interesting Times" while SPM has recently
compiled "The Flood" a set of archive recordings from the 1970s and
"Ancient Gates", a collaboration with Indian singer Sushi Krishnamurthi
and drummer Drachen Theaker.   The latter musician is also featured on
the enclosed [A Fierce Nature] collection.   A former member of the
Crazy World of Arthur Brown, Theaker's association with High Tide
dates from their days in the musically fertile enclave at Puddletown
in Dorset.

"A Fierce Nature" continues the high quality of Hill's prvious work, his
guitar work is never short of inspiring, while Theaker provides the
perfect support.   This excellent collection captures all the fire and
purpose of High Tide's early work, yet retains a contemporary purpose.
Perhaps time is only now catching up with Hill's exceptional vision."
Brian Hogg, October 1990.  Releases available from SPM, PO Box 28 03 52
D-1000 Berlin 28.   Phone 49 30 404 8832   Fax: 49 30 786 1175

yrs off-topically
jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk