OFF: Porcupine Tree

J Strobridge eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Sun Apr 18 12:03:16 EDT 1999

Jonathan Jarrett writes:

>         I agree with you here, Jill: though I like the album it's not what
> Porcupine Tree is supposedly about, i. e. psychedelic/progressive music.
> Any of this stuff could have been put out as No Man material. Yours,
>                                                                      Jon

True - I suspicion that No-Man and IEM are probably his preferred style
and he uses these bands as a way of experimenting with material that
eventually comes out under the (hopefully) more commercial cover of
PTree.   I'll give him credit - he really is trying very, very hard to
make a commercial success of this venture and the show is definitely
worth catching - more for the 2nd half though where he concentrates on
the "old slop" as he somewhat disparagingly called it - than the first
half which is a mixture of reflective songs, and intensive guitar and
drum and strobe sequences - almost as if he is trying to make up in
intensity of sound for the lack of tension in the music.    The
Glaswegians loved it though - which is a remarkable feat in itself -
trust me!!!

> P.S. Jill - that Pink Fairies thing you have, 'Pleasure Island' - could
> you tell me who's in the band on it and when it came out? To fill a trivia
> gap...

ummm - not absolutely sure - the sleeve is not informative and says only
that "Fairies on this disk are TWINK & PAUL [Rudolph]"  If this is true
then it's just the two of them in a studio.    It certainly sounds as if
there was someone else playing as well but with the miracles of
technology I guess two would have been sufficient if you just keep
overlaying the guitar work.

cheers
jill
J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk