HW: Lyrics

Andrew A. Apold mordru at FLITE.NET
Tue Apr 20 09:05:23 EDT 1999

>> Another idea is to think of particular situations from books that are worth
>> developing into lyrics
>
>I always liked the Amber series...

One of my favorites (in fact, probably my second-favorite fantasy series
of all time).  You are aware that there is a movie in the works?

Such things...  to do a song based on it, you can't do "tell the story"
and have it come off right, it just don't work (ref - the lyrics in
BOC's "The Pact").  If anything, it should focus on a specific moment,
one character, and his motives and what he's trying to do, that usually
works better for me than an attempt to describe action...

One note - there is a particular tune repeatedly mentioned in the books
that might be a worthy attempt, Corwin is the composer of a tune that
pops up in the storyline now and then entitled "The Ballad of the Water
Crossers", some kind of a tribute to Amber's navy he wrote during/after
his years spent in its service, apparently it's catchy, Vialle hums it
now and then, and I think that girl in Rebma knew it as well.

That might be a decent tact to take.  Corwin normally doesn't focus on
that kind of stuff, but on occasion he lets that side out. At one point,
while looking over Bleys' army in Avernus, he decides he rather likes
the place and will write a song about the place and the people he and
Bleys are about to sacrifice in their goal...

About the only other in-series musical references are that Random plays
drums, and Martin plays Saxaphone.  And Merlin is stalked by someone
wearing a Pink Floyd T-Shirt at one point.