HW: Lyrics

andrew andrew at DELUMINATE.FREESERVE.CO.UK
Tue Apr 20 18:53:07 EDT 1999

>>Rather than far out SF I wonder if a better concept wouldn't be some
>>sort of near term hard SF such as a realistic but doomed mission to
>>Mars. Backed up by either a comic or story outlining the characters and

as far as adaptations (and i'll try not suggest the Illuminatus trilogy, oh
well, i just did) Kim Robinson's Mars stuff might work nicely if chopped
down a bit. Okay, a lot.

>Anyone been listening to the "audio movie" of Baxter's "Voyage" on R4
>Monday nights?

Yeah, i've never read the book but i'm quite enjoying this; R4 seems to be
getting pretty SF orientated over the past while: this, The Kraken Wakes,
the Blake's 7 stuff (which i keep missing, d'oh!) And that's not to mention
that a few of the Dr Who New Adventures writers are working on Emmerdale at
the moment (!)

Oh yeah, and having spent the day putting my lps in alphabetical order
(look, it was raining okay?) i've been playing a few things i've not spun
in a while, amongst them - Roy Harper's Jugula (i'd forgotten how immense
this is, 'Hangman' esp.) and, actually i'll stop here cos i'll just ramble
on for ever.

To those in the vicinity of Derby (and there must be, ooh, three of us
now): at the Vic (opp. the train station) on Saturday night there'll be a
bit of a 60s psych nite happening. Bands playing will be The Screaming Mad
(very Syd B-ish Floyd type stuff apparently (although i dunno how much i
trust my sources on this)) and The Psychotic Reaction (local band, top 60s
punk action and nice guys to boot).

andrew