Review: Bedouin in Cambridge

Thu Apr 22 05:25:52 EDT 1999

        Carl and folks: set-list as I have it went:

        ? (something new that went very fast)
        Vision Quest (this was ace)
        Demons in Denial, with either a new end section (Rock Palace later
on had one of these too, very good and heavy) or another new number
sounding in the same vein as Sand Devil
        Rock Palace
        Wings (this was also very good indeed)
        Sputnik Stan (this was insane - Alan's bass solo actually rather
outdid Lemmy in 'Time We Left' - I know it's sacrilege but it seemed that
way to me, what can I say... )
        "Sean's Trouser Beast, I mean, Sword of the East" (very good also,
Sean's guitar work showed up beautifully though the song was a bit stop-
start), wandering into a long jam which showed up the Hawkwind influences
*very* clearly
        Chasing the Dragon
                -
        LSD (again with an immense solo section which went free-form jam
for a good few minutes before digging up the end of the 'Electric Tepee'
version from some asteroid they'd passed on the way)

        They were in very good form! Danny's drumming can't be faulted,
particularly when you're watching and he's clearly just enjoying himself
far too much not to try and fling in extra fills; Sean's guitar work is
individual and takes leaves out of Mr. Brock's and Mr. Rudolph's books, as
well as others; he just needs to be louder. And of course, Alan, well. One
of my friends who'd not seen them before said he spent some time during
the solo in 'Sputnik Stan' (during which Sean put down his guitar and went
and sat behind the stack to have a fag) looking for the second
guitarist... His complaint was that Alan was so much doing solo stuff that
he felt they lost a bit of rhythm, and a couple of the fast ones did
suffer that way a bit perhaps, but when the high points were as high as
they were, you don't quarrel! See them quickly while it's still cheap!
Yours,
        Jon