OFF: Metallica

Stephen Swann swann at PLUTONIA.COM
Sun Apr 25 16:17:06 EDT 1999

On Wed, Apr 07, 1999 at 12:33:20PM -0700, BREVARD, Adrian R. wrote:
> least a 100 miles from B'more.  This is a good heavy rock station; they
> refrian from alternative and give you a ton of classic and current heavy
> music.  One of the things they do every hour is"mandatory Metallica".  No
> Enter Sandman or Turn the Page, they play a lot of the classic stuff.
> Listening to this blistering number the other day I thought "damn that kinda
> sounds like Metallica but it really rocks and its so, so, so damned fast."
> To my surprise it was, something from Master of Puppets I believe.

(Yes, I'm weeks behind on my email.  Couldn't pass this one up, though.)

You remember me bitching about how NYC had no good radio stations?
That was because I hadn't checked the dial in a couple of years.
Things have changed.  Now there's K-Rock, which just fucking rules.
They play mostly new rock/metal/alternative with some classic rock, a
little hardcore punk, rock/rap crossover, and industrial thrown in for
variety.  In the last week, I've heard, aside from all the stuff
that's currently on the charts: "Fade to Black", "Master of Puppets",
"Seek and Destroy", "Breadfan", "Whiskey In the Jar", "Turn the Page"
(actually, maybe that last one *is* on the charts).

> One other question, can anybody tell me the name of that new single by Rob
> Zombie?  Sounds like an interesting mix of Metal and industrial, it sure has
> a great beat.

Heh heh heh, I had to buy _Hellbilly Deluxe_ for the wife, because of
"Dragula".  She listens to it as a driving tune, which is kind of
scary.  :)

>  Was midly surprised to hear that song as part of the
> soundtrack to the Matrix.  Hey Rob may be a poser but I bet he gets big on
> the dance circuit.

You're only a poser if you're pretending to be something that you're
not!  Rob's a 180 lb block of cheese, and doesn't pretend to be
anything but.  The liner booklet to _Hellbilly Deluxe_ is the best
collection of cornball fun I've seen a long time.  When I was 12 years
old, I would have thought _HD_ was the best album ever created.  ;-)

Steve
swann at plutonia.com