OFF: Off-topics

J Strobridge eset08 at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Mon Apr 26 08:46:50 EDT 1999

Nick writes:

> > > I don't want to offend anyone, but quite honestly, what is the
> > > big deal? It seems like people only complain about off-topic e-mails
> > > when they read one they don't like.
> >
> >      Yes, and?  I should complain about off-topic email that I
> > _do_ like?  That benefits me how? :)
>
> It benefits you by making you less hypocritical. Apparently, other
> areas in cyberspace are reserved only for off-topic discussions that
> don't interest you. If you feel so strongly about the practice of
> sending off-topic e-mail to this list, why don't you complain every
> time somebody sends one?

My understanding of the "off-topic" was that it was a musical one so
that the occasional non Hawkwind or BOC related bands could be chattered
about for a few messages without raising dust from folk complaining that
a new discussion group ought to be formed or that the talk should be
taken off-line or whatever.   This was also extended to cover topics
that only tenuously related to the bands.    However I think it was the
general understanding that discussion on off-topics should (a) be
restricted to only a few messages (b) that generally speaking it should
relate, however tenuously, to aspects of music or to the bands in
question and (c) if the discussion went on at any length it should be
taken off-list to be continued elsewhere.

This has in practice meant the occasional fascinating observations on
all sorts of topics ranging from warfare through philosophy and religion
and politics, social and economic studies and heaven knows what.
There are occasions where off-topic discussions have gone on for such
length that they have almost taken over the list.   But this is
rare.   Mostly when someone asks for a topic to be moved then the
discussion shifts elsewhere.

jill

J.D.Strobridge at ed.ac.uk                         eset08 at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
                                                ELIJSA at srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk