BOC: VH1, AoF Remaster

John A. Swartz jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Thu Aug 5 13:19:07 EDT 1999

> Well, VH1 just managed to do a remarkable segment on BOC.  As part of
> their "Where are they now?" series, they did a short segment on 3OC,
> still touring, blah blah blah... managing never *once* to mention Al,
> Joe, The Brain Surgeons, The X Brothers, or even Soft White
> Underbelly/Stalk Forrest (despite the fact that the video clips
> repeatedly focussed on Al and Joe).  Also, although they referred to
> Eric as "the group's vocalist", every single song clip they showed had
> Buck singing.  ;-)
>
> It's really galling that they didn't mention Al or Joe, because it's
> normal for a "Where are they now?" to feature a short segment on what
> *all* the original band members are currently doing, and what Al and
> Joe have been doing is *still writing and performing*.  And I'm sure
> that a mention on VH1 would have exposed the Brain Surgeons and the X
> Brothers to several hundred thousand potential fans.

Reports on alt.music.blueoystercult have also been dissapointing.
Apparently they spent more time on several bands, and only about 3
minutes on BOC.  And HOW do you mention "Where are they now?" in terms
of BOC and not mention either the band's large Internet following, or
Heaven Forbid?

While I'm not surprised that Al/Joe received no mention, it is
unfortunate.  After all, they have released 6 albums to BOC's 1 in the
last 10 years (of course I'm not counting compilations...).

> I have the BOC/T&M - can anyone recommend the remastered
> AoF? I already have the pre-remastered AoF so is the newer
> version worth getting?

Yes.  The original AoF is not bad, so the sound quality improvement is
not dramatic, but it is there.  Also, the expanded liner notes with new
notes by Buck are a nice touch.

John A. Swartz - The MITRE Corporation, Bedford MA - jswartz at mitre.org

"Fear is the path to the Dark Side.
Fear leads to Anger - Anger leads to Hate - HATE leads to SUFFERING."
  -- Yoda (Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace)