New Remasters better sound?

Stephen Swann swann at PLUTONIA.COM
Thu Aug 5 20:17:02 EDT 1999

On Thu, Aug 05, 1999 at 05:03:34PM +0100, M Holmes wrote:
> In Andy Garibaldi's latest list he comments that the six new remasterd
> Hawkwind albums have much better sound. Does anyone concur with this?

I would have.  Except that I've since heard them on a (much) better
stereo system, and I believe that I've changed my mind about them.

Basically, the remasters have exchanged musical "punch" for greater
smoothness.  In other words, they've filed off the burrs, and taken
some of the music with it.

I've actually put my EMI cds in storage and put my One Way copies
back in the CD rack.  The One Way's have more "oomph"; the guitar
sound has more attack.

> I dunno whether to blow the Federation Credits on these or not. I've got
> more than enough copies of most albums and I dislike these card covers
> because they're hard to store and easy to damage.

If there's any doubt at all, don't bother.  That said, if you were
going to get any at all, I believe that _HotMG_ is the only one that
could really be considered "improved" by the change.

Steve
swann at plutonia.com