HW: Re: New Remasters better sound?

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Tue Aug 10 15:49:22 EDT 1999

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999 15:39:44 -0500, "Sen. Volstead" <antisol at SOFTHOME.NET>
wrote:
>Stephen Swann wrote:
>> BTW, did we ever settle the issue of whether there was a difference in
>> sound between the single-album issue of Levitation, and the Castle
>> two-for-one _Levitation/Live '79_?  I've got the "twofer" and frankly,
>> both of them have a crystalline perfection of sound that sometimes
>> makes me doubt that they're Hawkwind albums.  ;-)
>
>Levitation must be one of the cleanest sounding albums they have!

Don't forget that it was one of the first-ever albums recorded on digital
tape.  I'm not sure which rock acts besides Frank Zappa had already
recorded to digital at this point (1980).  Presumably it would be the item
in the Hawkwind back catalog LEAST in need of digital remastering.
(although I don't have it on CD *at all* so I can't comment on mastering
differences, but I'd bet there's not much difference...)

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com