OFF: clearing out old albums

Sun Aug 15 09:31:20 EDT 1999

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, bart wrote:

> > =>      Electric Wizard - _Electric Wizard_
>
> What do these guys sound like, out of curiosity ? I've seen CDs by them
> (including a double) - wondered if they were sabbath clones or sub par doom
> merchants /stoner / sludge whatever.

        Tim,
             the double CD is their first two albums reissued. The first,
the original of which I am trying to flog still :-) is Sabbath-clonery par
excellence, in that it's generally more-Sabbath-than-Sabbath in a slow
stoned heavy way. Nothing too shabby, the first few tracks are a bit
samey, relieved by the third which is a `Planet Caravan'-style affair only
instrumental and much more trippy, and the last, self-titled, which is
quite superb heavy stoner which takes all the Sabbath trade-mark tricks
with it wherever it goes.

        The second one is a different kettle of fish. It's heavier, much
slower, and much more powerful. A friend of mine described it as, "On the
first album you can tell they're on some pretty good drugs. On the second
one you change your mind - whatever these guys are on, you don't want
any." It is, quite seriously, worth every penny of the ressiue price.

        They have a couple of split singles with Orange Goblin about, too,
which I haven't heard, and an EP called _Supercoven_ which is two quarter-
of-an-hour tracks of a suite which I've heard called an Electric Wizard
take on Sleep's _Jerusalem_. They have a new one coming out some time
called _Dopesick_, release date conditional I think on when Lee Dorian can
kick them into a studio for long enough to get it finished. They should
also be playing London some time in October, but they are notorious
no-shows so I shall see who else is on the bill...

> Also anybody heard stuff by Turbonegro ? One of there's going pretty cheap
> near me too.

        No, I'll have to pass on that one. Hope all the above is some
help anyhow... Yours,
                      Jon