HW: Daze

Dan Witt lwitt1 at USWEST.NET
Sun Aug 22 23:04:01 EDT 1999

Just got back from sd99, thought I'd post a bit.  Great event, probably
as good as the 97 festival.  Friday night Tribe of Cro had already been
a lost cause but then Helios Creed pulled a no-show, real bummer both
bands didn't make it.  But, luckily Born To Go were good and ready to
Go, and they did get on stage and go and go and go, really classic
crunching spacerock that went on for a full two hours(which included a
20+ minute "Orgone Accumulator"), great songs too, "Spacerock City"
brought a grin to my face.  Alien planetscapes played a good rocking set
this year, not as jazzy previous years.  Of course Saturday was Nik
headlining, another great show.  Nik played Sonic Attack, Brainstorm,
Freefall, Anubis, Watching the Grass Grow, D-rider, Ejection, Master of
the Universe, You Shouldn't do That, and maybe one or two that eludes
me.  After the show Nik appeased the audience with solo sax versions of
Silver Machine, The Right Stuff, Space Invaders, I'm a Bad Egg(?), and
In the Mood, a real crowd pleaser he was. Lots of other bands played
nice sets too on all three days.  Great to see all the people from the
list there, again, I'm getting used to seeing you guys once a year now.
Strangest thing I saw, a baby tarantula caught by the crowd during the
Canis Minor set, biggest spider I'd ever seen up close. Anyway, I had a
great time.

Unfortunately attendance was not what it should have been, Jim needs to
have a better turn-out if he's going to keep doing this.  There was
about 400 tickets sold I believe, hopefully that's enough for sd 2000 to
happen.  If not I blame it on all you people that were too lazy to go.
Thom mentioned that the Ozrics and Gong are being talked to for a
possible sd 2000, maybe that will stir some additional interest.