BOC: What Gives?

John A. Swartz jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Wed Aug 25 09:44:30 EDT 1999

> Excuse my lack of courtesy today but WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH THE BOC
> RELEASES?  A short while ago didn't someone post something on the list from
> the BOC Fan Club that both the remastered Sony GH package and the KBFH would
> be released late Aug?  I know I'm not dreaming because I cut and pasted that
> thread to a bulletin board elsewhere.
>
> How come Sony of KBFH don't show these discs?  CDNow never heard of either
> one.  WHAT THE FARK IS GOING ON?

Are you really surprised by this?  Have you forgotten the days back in
the early-mid 90s when the album was always only a few months away?

Actually, ICE magazine mentioned the release date of the KBFH disc as
Sept. 21st I believe - Bolle doesn't believe that date is real, based on
his understanding of how far along production is -- he expects later in
1999 is more realistic.

Bolle also just announced a mid-October release date for "Don't Fear The
Reaper: The Best of BOC" (don't you just *LOVE* THAT title!).
Presumably there will be some cool liner notes, and the stuff will be
remastered, but most hard-core fans will probably figure "so what - who
needs another GH compilation?".  I suppose some of the AOL crowd will be
pleased to know that they had a hand in the selection - but since the
ground rules were always picking the stuff that the general population
would most consider BOC's best, there won't be anything too out of the
ordinary in my opinion - no demos, rare live stuff, or even some of
those cool obscure tunes like, say, "Quicklime Girl".  It will be "The
Big Three and 13 other songs that you've heard over and over and over ..."

On alt.music.blueoystercult a few weeks back, I proposed Sony put out a
new GH compilation called:

"Don't Fear the Reaper:  BOC's Greatest Hit"

And I came up with at least a dozen variations (live and studio) of the
song that could be used as tracks.  I mean, what the hell...

John