SD99

Marc Power mpower at CICG-DEV.ETSD.ML.COM
Wed Aug 25 11:57:10 EDT 1999

DASLUD Larry wrote:

> while stumbling around the food table seeking to feed myself, i hear
> this english accent call out "larry?! are you the larry who stirs shit up on
> BOC-L?" or words to that effect. "i must be", i replied.

Yes, that was I. ;-)
And that was pretty much what I said, I think I also added
that I thought it was 'no bad thing'.

I have never met so many BOC-L people in one place at one time before,
it was great. Finally met Carl 'Cozmic Runemeister' Anderson, Don 'Spaceship
Eyes' Falcone, Doug 'Ceres' Pearson as well as the aforementioned Larry.
I am sure that there were many others too, but my capacity for remembering
names was somewhat impaired.

I do remember that Steve Lindsey had one of the 'NetHawks' T-Shirts.
Now I want one. XL or XXL please, where do I send the dough?

As for Larry, both he and his compatriots in crime, DAS LUDICROIX
did a stirling jobbie, seriously hitting their stride after about
ten minutes into their set and creating some very memorable organic
spacerock.

Doug Walker was going to play with us (BORN to GO) too, but we filled in
for Tribe of Cro and Helios Creed's absence and played the friday night,
instead of the Saturday slot and Doug arrived sometime during our set.

Doug provided some of the highs and lows of SD99, the highs, when he played
with Alien Planetscapes, DAS LUDICROIX and Tombstone Valentine and the lows
when he was pulled over by the local cops outside the venue on a completely
spurious traffic violation pretext, the fuzz just 'happened' to have a K9
unit on hand, ran the dog around the outside of his van, the dog barked,
so they then put Doug in cuffs for twenty minutes while they ran sniffer
dogs thru his van.

Fortunately they released him in time for the AP set, which was awesome.

Anubian Lights were very cool, ambienting away spacily, Farflung really
rocked and by that time, everyone was ready for Nik.

Nik was even better than in 97, made his entrance in a kinda 'space hedgehog'
outfit, with a star mask that completely covered his head and had big red
spikes. I can't describe it, check out the BORN to GO website for pics:

<http://www.borntogo.com/btg.html>

Nik played (and looked!) like a demon. Coming up with some of the best
Live SpaceRock I have heard ever. Then, we were treated to a repeat of
the 'Nik at Night' solo Sax experience of SD97, already detailed.
You have got to hear Nik doing 'The Right Stuff' and 'Little Black Egg'
on his own, with the crowd clapping time and doing harmonies and stuff
- he did 'In the Mood' with the crowd singing the Woo-Woo's!

Later on he played flute with Canis Minor, in the after hours tent.

What a fireball of energy and enthusiasm this man (alien?) was,
enjoying every moment of the festival with an obvious relish.

Other honourable mentions (in no particular order):
Thom the world poet (great MC), WOO Revelator, Quarkspace, National Steam,
Canis Minor, Sloterdijk, bionaut all rocked (or ambiented).

I missed Oranj Climax who opened on friday night, but I am sure that
they were excellent too, from the party mood that everyone was in when
we got to the site.

An incredible time, this festival keeps getting better and better.
If you missed out on this one, start making plans for SD2K now.

An aside, if anyone has good pics of us (BORN to GO) playing friday
night or Alien Planetscapes playing on Saturday, please email me a
.gif or .jpg if you can, I would love to put some up on our site.

And on another note, Nik told me that he was not going to be involved
with the 'Ledge of Darkness' thing.

Of course, he can always change his mind.

Space!

Marc.