off: "little black egg"

Eric Siegerman erics at TELEPRES.COM
Wed Aug 25 20:53:10 EDT 1999

Doug Pearson wrote:
> >still gonna check my aircheck tapes for another '60s version...doesnt look
> >good, though.
>
> I don't know of any other 60s versions, but the Pagans (77-era Cleveland
> punk band) did a great version as a B-side to their "Dead End America" 7"
> (I think it was that one).

"The Little Black Egg, which was a modest hit, was also covered
by Music Explosion, Columbus's Margins and The Kommotions among
others.  Little Black Egg can also be heard on Nuggets, Vol 6,
More Nuggets, Vol 2 (CD) and Nuggets 4-CD box set."

So saith Delerium's Psychedelic Archive,
http://www.delerium.co.uk/archive/psychtop.html (the quote is
from the entry for the Nightcrawlers).

They give the following dates:
        Nightcrawlers   1966
        Music Explosion 1967
        Kommotions      1965 [sic]
        Margins         (none given)

So, can anybody explain what all the fuss is about?  Judging by
what I heard Saturday night, it seems a pretty silly song -- the
kind that should have been a very minor hit and then vanished
forever.

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics at telepres.com
|  |  /
I'm going to change it, but it's going to take some time.
        - Linus Torvalds, on Windows's market leadership