HW: SD99

Doug Bates Doug.Bates at TUCCSTER.TUCC.UAB.EDU
Thu Aug 26 13:42:25 EDT 1999

I'm still in a daze, how strange...

Wow, I love this festival, its seems like only yesterday I
was writing SD98 on my tapes. I thank Jim Lasco for pulling
this off once again. This is a special event that is becoming
an annual family reunion. If you want to help keep this going
go to http://www.strange-trips.com and purchase the 2CD SD97,
also there is a video of HW from the 97 tour in Chicago.

Before I rave about all the good things, I must say THE VENUE
SUX AND IT MUST CHANGE for next years festival. Last year it
meet the minimum requirements I guess. But now they have
invoked silly rules about where to camp ect. This rubbed many
the wrong way trust me. Just as people entered this was thrust
upon them (negative energy man). We had to pay for an extra
night of camping, unlike last year (minor detail, but the
little things started to add up). But, the biggie is those
flashing blue lights! The cops found us folks, being the
threat we are to society its time we left (this world today).

I thought Alien Planetscapes were great. They seem to improve
every year, but there're new guitarist has really helped. And
the bass player drives that whole thing and Doug Walker has
really got it together. Its no accident that he always sounds
great.

As Tribe of Cro and Mr Creed burned there bridges there was a
band ready, willing and able to save Friday night. Born to Go
stepped up to fill the void and just as important they rose
to the occasion! They open with Born to Go (as they should)
it was heavy, it was hard, it was spacerock! I think they
closed with Orgone Accumulator which was a classic improve.
For those unfamiliar with the inventor of said machine, they
received a crash course about the man. Way to go Marc that
was hilarious! Anyway, BtG went to the next level. There
original material was bitch'in.

I thought Aunubian Lights played to long, they played alot
of new material which was good. But, it seemed to cut into
the time allocated for Farflung. Did Farflung sound good or
what? Did they bring there're own sound man (not a knock on
anyone else)? I want rant about this band because I'm not
objective, but I put them at the top of the US spacerockers.

Nik, what can I say, not objective here either. D-rider as
always is a classic. Its a privilege to see Nik, he said he'll
be back next year. I couldn't help but notice how he has
slowed down a bit. Makes me appreciate him even more. Sunday,
he went swimming and kept going further and further out in the
lake. I thought to myself please stop, if something happens
I'm not sure I can swim that far in my current state. If I went
to do something I ask whoever I was near to keep watching that
little head in the middle of the lake and call me if it
disappears! :-)

A very cool moment: We're at our campsite about 2am, Bionaut
is playing just loud enough to hear. Across the lake some
dude starts singing/chanting a Native American song for about
5 minutes. His voice was beautiful. Our location was in-between
so it was in stereo!

It was nice to talk to fellow BOC-l ers, hopefully I made
some sense when we talked.

I could go on and on, but its back to work

PS I'll be surprised if the Ozrics are not signed for SD2K,
Eloy seems a long shot at best, assuming there're still together.
--
Doug Bates