SD99

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Thu Aug 26 16:19:21 EDT 1999

Marc 'BtG' Power said...

>> Before I rave about all the good things, I must say THE VENUE
>> SUX AND IT MUST CHANGE for next years festival.
>
>What can I say? this is absolutely true, but it's not going to
>change.

>Jim got an exceptionally good deal on the site this year
>and the only reason that he didn't make a ruinous loss and the
>possibility is there for an SD2K is because of that deal.

Oh is that what happened?  Cause I know Jim was really unhappy with what
they were charging him in 1998.  I know their fees then were based on number
of attendees, not a set fee.  Of course, with fewer attendees this year, it
wouldn't have been nearly so much if he were charged the same way.  So I
wonder how much this 'new deal' really saved him?

I imagine the merchandising, esp. selling the SD'97 discs, must've helped a
lot relative to last year.  But of course, he probably would have sold those
to a lot of people through mail order anyway.  Still, it should have helped
some.
And then he didn't have to pay two bands to play!!  Well, three really,
since Tribe of Cro never came either.

BTW, my copy of SD'97 seems to have a minor skip/defect (not visible) in the
Quarkspace track on the first disc.  Anybody else have this?  I've only
played it on my little box stereo...not sure if it will happen on my home
stereo.

>I don't like the venue, particularly the sanitation, but I
>will stick it out for another year for the sake of being able
>to attend and perform at America's only outdoor weekend annual
>SpaceRock festival.

I don't know what the big deal is...I really like the Ledges.  Of course, I
wasn't rooted out of my campsite like I guess some others were.  And I
didn't get stopped by the police (as I never left the grounds).  But I know
that Frontier Ranch here in the Columbus vicinity was seriously considered
for this year, and it was decided against it mainly due to increased police
presence in the area, so perhaps then it was the right choice!  It could
have been worse.

Yeah, ok, the sanitation leaves a little to be desired.  But having
sanitation services at all seems like the high life to me (who has 'camped'
with absolutely none for over 60 days at a time).  Some would like to see it
moved into the city and made into an indoor event.  Phfft.  I'd still go,
but I wouldn't like it one bit.  I'd be happy to see two events a year (one
indoor and one outdoor) though.  Well, we've already got that in a sense
with Orion's thingy.  Though that's *very* limited seating.

In the end, I think we should have it at wherever Jim *wants* to have it
(and can afford it).  I'm not going to complain until I start putting on my
own shows, and start hearing others' friendly suggestions!  :)

If I was able to spout off about one pet peeve about the Ledges (which I'll
commence to doing now), it's the damn driveway in front of the stage.  Plant
some damn grass there, you fools!  :)  That's a suggestion for the NLQP
people, not Jim.

>> They open with Born to Go (as they should)
>> it was heavy, it was hard, it was spacerock! I think they
>> closed with Orgone Accumulator which was a classic improve.
>> For those unfamiliar with the inventor of said machine, they
>> received a crash course about the man. Way to go Marc that
>> was hilarious! Anyway, BtG went to the next level. There
>> original material was bitch'in.
>
>Thanks Doug, mate. I must have been blitzed though, I don't even
>remember playing 'Born to Go'!

Whew!!  I didn't hear it either!  I was afraid that perhaps I had another
memory lapse on Friday night!  :)

Keith H. (FAA)