HW: I've been meaning to ask this...

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Fri Aug 27 07:41:08 EDT 1999

Rich Lockwood writes:

> I've been on the list for about three / four years now, and have always
> meant to ask this, but never got round to it...
>
> Here goes.
>
> Silver Bloody Machine 7" single.  On United Artists.  Catalogue number
> UP35381.  Produced by Hawkwind and Doctor Technical.  We all know that.
> I've got three vinyl copies of the damn thing, and one of them hasn't got
> the obvious crowd noises at the start, and the (for want of a better phrase)
> WAWAWAWAWAwawawawawa...wawawawawWAWAWAWAWAWAWA bit at the start goes on for
> ages.  But the catalogue number and all other information on the label are
> exactly the same.  Can anyone enlighten me?  Have I got a 12" version on 7"
> or something?  Or were there a couple of different pressings?  In all other
> aspects they're exactly the same - I know, I sat up until about 4 this
> morning with only a bottle of gin for company trying to spot differences.
> And there aren't any.
>
> Sorry if everyone out there knows all the differences and I'm just being a
> cretin, but it's been bothering me.
> :-(

Relevant sections of the Codex follow. You can tell which version you've
got by checking the runoff groove on each side. There'll be a number
from A1 to A4 and B1 to B4. The combinations known are:

7 inch

A1/B1 and A1/B2    - 1972 original release and rerelease due to demand.
                     Seven by Seven remixed on the 2nd release.
A2/B2              - 1976 different remix of Seven By Seven and Silver
                     Machine from the segue with Seeing It As You Really
                     Are made for Roadhawks.
A3/B3              - 1978 original version of Silver Machine with 1976
                     version of Seven by Seven
A4/B4              - 1983 original version of Silver Machine and cut
                     version of Seven By Seven from Space Ritual LP

After 1983 the versions released were the 1976 Silver Machine from
Roadhawks and the cut Space Ritual version of Seven by Seven. This may
be different in other countries. Abroad there were also double A side
Silver Machine/Urban Guerilla released with the 1972 version of Silver
Machine.

Also on 7" was the version of Silver Machine on the Magnu motorbike pic
disk and the pic disk of Warrior for the 10th anniversary reissue from
Choose Your Masques in both ull and edited format.

12 inch

1978 the silver coloured sleeve had the original silver machine with the
1976 mix of Seven By Seven. There was also a 12 inch version of the
Silver Machine/Magnu seven inch.

Could you have a look at the runoff grooves on yours and let me know.
I'm curious.

FoFP

Silver Machine
 L  2     Glastonbury Fayre
 L  2     Assassins of Allah LP
 L  2     Dawn of Hawkwind CD
    3     Silver Machine/ Seven by Seven 7" [1972]
    3     X In Search Of Space  [Spanish album and remastered CD only]
    3     Doremifasolatido      [Japanese album only]
    3     US  double 7" EP
    3     Silver Machine/7 by 7/Lord of Light/Born to Go German double 7" EP
    3     Silver Machine/ Seven by Seven 7" [1978]
    3     Silver Machine/ Seven by Seven 12" [1978]
    3     Silver Machine/ Seven by Seven 7" [1983]
    3     Silver Machine/ Seven by Seven 12" [1983]
    3     Silver Machine/ Urban Guerilla 7" [Dutch 1989]
    3     Stasis
    3     (The Best of) Psychedelic Warlords
    3     25 Years On [Griffin 4-CD Set]
    3     Sonic Boom Killers
    3 a   Roadhawks
    3 a   Silver Machine/ Urban Guerilla 7" [German 1975]
    3 a   Silver Machine/ Seven by Seven 7" [1976]
    3 a   Silver Machine/ Seven by Seven 7" [after 1983]
 L  8     Silver Machine/Magnu 7"
 L  8     Silver Machine/Magnu 7" motorbike shaped pic disk
 L  8     Silver Machine Live 12" EP
 L  8     Spirit of The Age ["Elite" compilation CD]
 L  8     Ironstrike
 L  8     British Tribal Music
 L  8     Castle Masters Collection
 L  8     Night Riding
 L  8     The Best and the Rest of Hawkwind
 L  8     The Early Years Live EP
 L  8     The Hawkwind Anthology Vol. I CD
 L  8     Acid Daze Vol. III CD
 L  8     The Hawkwind Collection
 L  8     Best of Hawkwind CD
 L  8     Silver Machine CD [Spectrum compilation]
 L  8     Live & Rare (Onward Flies The Bird)
 L  8     Master of the Universe [Pulse CD] {Silver Machine live}
 L  8     Silver Machine CD [Hallmark compilation]
    9     Choose Your Masques
    9     Silver Machine 10th Anniversary  7" EP [long version]
    9 a   Silver Machine 10th Anniversary  7" EP [short version]
    9 a   Choose Your Masques [CD only]

      *   Version 2 was recorded at the Roundhouse in 1972 and not at
          Glastonbury.
      *   Version 3 was mixed from version 2 at Rockfield.
      *   Version 3a was remixed from 3 for the Roadhawks album by
          overlapping the end of the Shouldn't Do That track from the
          Space Ritual encore with the start of the version 3 single.
      *   Version 5a is a remix from version 5
      *   Version 7 stops with an explosion soon after the track begins
      *   The 10th anniversary 7" EP contained both the version from the
          Choose Your Masques album, and a shorter edited version. The
          CD of Choose Your Masques had the full three tracks from the
          10th Anniversary EP and thus contained the full version twice.
          The EP was also released as a pic disk with the covers from
          Warrior On The Edge of Time and Doremifasolatido.
      *   Two versions of Silver Machine on Assassins of Allah LP and three
          versions on Dawn of Hawkwind CD

Seven by Seven
    1     Silver Machine/ Seven by Seven 7" [1972]   A1/B1
    1     In Search of Space [remastered CD only]
    1     Sonic Boom Killers
    1 a   Silver Machine/ Seven by Seven 7" [1972]   A1/B2
    1 b   Silver Machine/7 by 7/Lord of Light/Born to Go German double 7" EP
    1 b   Silver Machine/ Seven by Seven 7" [1976]
    1 b   Silver Machine/ Seven by Seven 7" [1978]   A3/B3
    1 b   Silver Machine/ Seven by Seven 12" [1978]
    1 b   Silver Machine/ Seven by Seven 12" [1983]
    1 b   Stasis
    1 b   Lord of Light
 L  2     BBC Transcription Disc LP
 L  2     Space Rock from London
 L  2 a   BBC Radio - Live In Concert CD
 L  3     Space Ritual Alive
 L  3 a   Silver Machine/ Seven by Seven 7" [1983]
 L  3 a   Silver Machine/ Seven by Seven 7" [after 1983]
 L  4     Space Ritual II
 L  4     Hawkwind Live  [Imtrat]
 L  4     Hawkwind: The Masters
 L  4     Ridicule
 L  4 a   Live '70/'73
 L  4 a   Welcome To The Future     [Mausoleum LP]
 L  5     The 1999 Party

      *   1a is a remix of 1 - both released in 1972
      *   1b is a remix of 1
      *   2a is a remix of 2
      *   3a is a cut version of 3
      *   4a is a cut version of 4