HW: Epoch Eclipse review in Time Out

Chris Warburton desdinova at EARTHLING.NET
Fri Aug 27 17:55:32 EDT 1999

At 02:36 27/08/99 EDT, you wrote:
>In a message dated 8/26/99 9:06:42 PM, antisol at SOFTHOME.NET writes:
>
><<
>That's really amazing. Does anyone recall any earlier appearances of the term
>"punk rock"?
>>>
>==============
>boy, couldnt we just go round and round with this'n...but there were multiple
>references circa 1971 to, ha ha, the j. geils band being "punk rock", and i
>have no doubt there are earlier references than that, dating back to the
>second half of the '60s.. cant think of 'em at 2:30am...
>
>that's just a wacky one that comes to mind...
>
>then there's always zappa's "flower punk" from '68,  perhaps alluding to the
>whole garage band-meets-flower-power intermingling...attitues collide...

Strange that this should come up at the same time as the MC5 references,
'coz I always thought that the term had been coined in the early days of th
'5 The Stooges, The Amboy Dukes &c.  I was trying to find my copy of
"Nuggets" to try & support this contention via Lenny Kaye's sleeve notes.
Maybe Jon Browne can de-lurk & shed some light on the subject???

ChrisW

NP: Freedom & Rain/June Tabor & The Oyster Band
"a cynic is a man who when he smells flowers looks around for a coffin" -
Bierce