OFF: Censorship hits home

DASLUD at AOL.COM DASLUD at AOL.COM
Thu Dec 2 13:48:24 EST 1999

In a message dated 11/30/99 4:41:33 PM, daveb at TARDIS.ED.AC.UK writes:

<< Actually, this has been done
>in other US cities, c.f. Boston--a city which always used to pride
>itself as one of the intellectual nerve centers of North America.

===========
 i commented the other day on the demise of boston's 'combat zone', and was
reminded of a distantly-related anecdote...
my former 'real' band, disarray, played a gig in '82 at a boston club called
maverick's (currently known as t.t. the bears). it had been an 'urban cowboy'
bar and before that a lesbian bar, but now it was a strip joint in the
afternoon and a 'new wave' club at night. it wasnt in the 'combat zone'
as we brought our equipment in, you could see the naked lady =only one=
grinding away, doing spreads, etc.  but there was no stage, just this tiny
foot-high riser with some short 'fence' around it.  she was gorgeous,
too-actually a couple of us, heh, had seen her a few months ago at a
different place called "the naked i" (a 'combat zone' classic) .
here she was, like, facing the bartender, just a few feet from the backs of a
buncha geezers at the bar, who paid her no attention. very strange.

she talked with us on a break; another college girl making some xtra bux, as
many did when the 'combat zone' had half a dozen strip clubs.

anyway, the gig was a real drag; one of the three bands didnt show, and there
were more people listening outside the side door during our set than there
were inside the club. =exactly 4, including the stripper lady, who departed
before we finished.

&^^*&(&  midweek gigs...

"<>"