OFF: Bubblegum hits home

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Thu Dec 2 15:01:49 EST 1999

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999 14:08:18 EST, DASLUD at AOL.COM wrote:
>In a message dated 11/30/99 7:06:44 PM, Stewartbas at AOL.COM writes:
>
>> << (of course, we all know the answer to that question is 1910 Fruitgum
>>Co.)  >>
>>Yummy Yummy Yummy I got love in my Tummy!  Sounds Porney to me.
>
>===========
>so it's come to this.....
>
>"yummy yummy yummy" was by the OHIO EXPRESS
>biggest hits by 1910 fruitgum co. were "simon says", "1-2-3 red light", goody
>goody gumdrops", and "indian giver", the latter covered by the ramones.

... all of which ARE pretty "porney" when you think about it.  "1-2-3 Red
Light" with lines like "Everytime I make a move to love you / 1-2-3 Red
Light / You stop me / Baby it ain't right / To stop me / 1-2-3 Red Light
..." is about as forward a frustrated plea for adolescent SEX as anything
by, say, latter-day Def Leppard (I love the version by sex-obsessed UK
indie-poppers the Pooh Sticks from the late 80s).

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com