worst guitar solos

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Thu Dec 9 21:46:25 EST 1999

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Robert C. Mayo wrote:

=> years. age (among other things...) does take it's toll. same for howe. it's
=> uncomfortable to watch a player struggle (& fail) to play something that he
=> himself has written and once performed brilliantly. but this is inevitable.
=> time marches on...

I saw Steve Howe play a solo gig, oh, it must've been 1994, in South
Shields of all places (my home town!).  He performed basically the
same material as represented on his _Not Necessarily Acoustic_ live
CD.  If that's what he plays like when he's "lost it," I'd love to
have heard him when he still "had it."  (He sounded PLENTY GOOD to
these ears.)

(For a laff he played "My White Bicycle," but I don't know if it had
the brilliance of his original rendition all those many years ago.:)

Age does bring its benefits, though.  Like knowing, finally, when
not to play as many notes.

I'm not a big Howe fan, but I did really enjoy that gig.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa