worst guitar solos

Horse Whisperer beautiful_foot at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 10 07:21:31 EST 1999

>From: "Robert C. Mayo" <RMayo19761 at AOL.COM>
> >"...taste rather than aesthetics...":
>
>i respectfully diagree. page's chops have been shot since around 'in
>throughthe out door'. we probably agree that he is a truly great guitarist
>(and songwriter) per se, but as a soloist he's been a shadow of his former
>self for years. age (among other things...) does take it's toll.

Jimmy Page has been an excellent songwriter, but his soloing has always been
a little "forced".  Whereas most of the solos where _musically_ beautiful
and really tasty, his _technical_ ability hasn't been so good, almost as if
he were primarily a composer but also a frustrated guitar player.  To me he
always sounded as if he knew exactly what he wanted to hear, but could never
quite get his fingers to play quick enough or clean enough, when playing he
almost sounded as if his fingers were tripping over themselves while trying
to play everything he wanted them to play....

C.