worst guitar solos

Thomas Rickert hijinks at UTARLG.UTA.EDU
Fri Dec 10 15:18:48 EST 1999

There is some truth to this. Page has discussed how he would keep solos that had
mistakes if they captured the mood, the essence, had that edge.

But there is more to it than this. Technical exellence doesn't preclude a
certain amount of sloppiness _necessarily_. Page has talked about his style
before, mentioning that some of his influences had a way of moving in and out of
the beat, of falling out of key and rhythm, but then bringing it back in. Like a
cat landing on its feet. This is the essence of his "tight but loose" style. And
ultimately, this is a matter of taste more than aesthetics. I like that
sloppiness. I think Page is a master of incorporating error and making it
integral to the music. More often than not, it's the wrong note that is the most
important note. For me, that is what rock is all about--that
always-threatening-to-collapse mix of chaos and order. To be honest, truly
technical players are so often also incredibly boring. Alex Lifeson, for
example: a great player, sure, but he can't solo his way out of paper bag. It's
studied and boring, with maybe a few exceptions.

That's my taste, but I can defend it as a viable aesthetic. I'll take the
Stooges over Rush any day. And Hawkwind over ELP or latter day Floyd (though
maybe these aren't the best comparisons). Ultimately, to knock Page for not
being a "clean" player kinda  misses the point of what makes him a great
guitarist, songwriter, and soloist.