OFF: Re: worst guitar solos

Frank Weil frankw at COMM.MOT.COM
Fri Dec 10 16:57:18 EST 1999

>From: Thomas Rickert <hijinks at UTARLG.UTA.EDU>

>There is some truth to this. Page has discussed how he would keep solos that had
>mistakes if they captured the mood, the essence, had that edge.
>
>But there is more to it than this. Technical exellence doesn't preclude a
>certain amount of sloppiness _necessarily_. Page has talked about his style
>before, mentioning that some of his influences had a way of moving in and out of
>the beat, of falling out of key and rhythm, but then bringing it back in. Like a
>cat landing on its feet. This is the essence of his "tight but loose" style. And
>ultimately, this is a matter of taste more than aesthetics. I like that
>sloppiness. I think Page is a master of incorporating error and making it
>integral to the music. More often than not, it's the wrong note that is the most
>important note. For me, that is what rock is all about--that
>always-threatening-to-collapse mix of chaos and order. To be honest, truly
>technical players are so often also incredibly boring. Alex Lifeson, for
>example: a great player, sure, but he can't solo his way out of paper bag. It's
>studied and boring, with maybe a few exceptions.

I can agree to this to some extent, but I would argue that it depends on
what type of a mistake it is.  I personally like Page's style, but I think
he is not that good technically.*  There are a lot of times when he goes
to hit a note and doesn't pick it or finger it cleanly, so that the note
sounds weak, muffled, hurried, etc.  To me, this detracts from the songs.

I also agree that technical proficiency is not in itself enough, Lifeson
being a prime example.  However, the truly great guitar players combine
both technical proficiency and feeling.  A solo should complement a song
and move it along, not be a separate entity.  Too many guitar players
think that solo means "time to show off how great I am".  They end up
with solos that have nothing to do with the song.  Neil Yong's solo in
Cinnamon Girl is infinitely better than this.

That is why, to me, I will always consider David Gilmoure to be a better
player than Eddie Van Halen, and Martin Barre to always be better than
Yngwie Malmsteen, even though I enjoy listening to all of them.  The
ultimate guitar player is, of course, Ritchie Blackmore, who can play
clean classical runs, smooth Eastern scales, down-and-dirty blues, and
balls-out-rock with equal ease.  Stevie Ray Vaughn and Jimi Hendrix
aren't far behind in my book, either.

Frank

* "not that good" is relative.  He is far better than I will ever be.

ObTape: Hawkwind Caovers All, Volume I.

--
And I can see the strong wind blowing the sun towards us.
            -- Brian Johnson, BBC Radio 3
        Frank Weil | frankw at comm.mot.com
   phone: (847) 576-3110 | fax: (847) 576-3240