worst guitar solos

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Mon Dec 13 06:45:24 EST 1999

On 11 Dec 99 at 14:01, dhuggins wrote:

>         With respect to age, I truly think (sans arthritis and the like) that any
> 50 year old can play as well as they did when they were 20, from a
> "technical" standpoint.

I saw Jeff Beck this past summer, and he's certainly playing his best
right now--to say nothing of the fact that he smokes EVERYBODY else
out there, regardless of age...

It is just a matter of dedication and time spent.
> Do you honestly think that JP spends anywhere close to as much time on
> guitar as he did 25-30 years ago?  I sure don't.

Nope, and I bet Beck practices very little, and probably only plays
guitar when he's getting ready to tour or record.  Rest of his time
is spent building cars...

  With respect to
> "innovation", that is a more difficult one.  What makes a rock guitarist
> stand out?  A new, unique, or distinctive sound or style of play?  Usually.
>  Can they continue to be innovative beyond their intitial uniqueness?

Again, Jeff Beck, who has reinvented himself numerous times.  How
many geezers could incorporate electronica/sampling/etc and pull it
off like Jeff does...

theo