worst guitar solos

Ted Jackson jr. s2h2 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Mon Dec 13 06:55:12 EST 1999

On 10 Dec 99 at 15:05, Torgo Sedler wrote:

> I just read the 50 WORST GUITAR SOLOS OF ALL TIME, and I have to say, in all
> honesty, that it was the single biggest piece of shit I ever had the
> pleasure of reading. Here's the link if you have not yet had the opportunity
> to sniff of this fetid lump, fresh off the business end of a warm and steamy
> one..........

glad I posted this info to the list.  Personally, I think it's one of
the funniest things I've ever read...

> What makes me mad as it is obvious to me that this person has a beef with
> just about every band under the sun. He states the solo by the band that he
> has a problem with, and then proceeds to drag the mentioned band in general
> through the slime and muck.

Torgo, I don't think you've read the article very carefully.  In many
cases, they turn around and say good things about the bands they're
ripping.  They just didn't like that particular solo...And really, if
you can't tell this article is a sendup!  Doesn't anyone have a sense
of humor anymore?

So he thinks "Burnin' for you" has a shitty
> guitar solo, well maybe it does. Who am I to say, I have trouble playing a
> fucking kazoo and slide whistle. I'm about as musically adept as Stephen
> Hawking in a body cast. But then he goes on to make each band look as bad as
> he can. Well, if BOC, for example, is so untalented then why is "Don't fear
> the reaper" not on the list as well. Whoops, can't name TWO songs by the
> same band and still get 49 other kicks to the ball-bag in on 49 other bands.

Oh I get it now...It was the jab at Rush that sent Torgo over the
edge!

> I picture the writer as a bitter man of about 40 years old, still upset at
> the entire music industry because the band he played in when he was 15 never
> got picked up for a million dollar recording contract.

Wrong!  These guys are kids, probably college students, or kids just
out of school doing a fanzine.  They have very little to say about
bands of the last 10 years or so.  And, so why can't a bunch of kids
make fun of the cliched stuff that their big brothers made them
listen to for years growing up?  I'm a lot older than you are, Torgo,
and I think these guys are brilliant satirists!

theo