worst guitar solos

Chris Warburton desdinova at EARTHLING.NET
Mon Dec 13 14:55:54 EST 1999

At 14:18 10.12.1999 -0600, Thomas wrote in respose to The Horse Whisperer:
>--snip--<
>Page has talked about his style
>before, mentioning that some of his influences had a way of moving in and
out of
>the beat, of falling out of key and rhythm, but then bringing it back in.
Like a
>cat landing on its feet.

This style of soloing is exemplified by John Scofield, whom I've seen (and
heard! *g*) stretch himself so far outside of a tune's "time" that I
thought he would just "fall off the tightrope" and then just snap back on
to the beat at the perfect moment, and then he would do the same thing the
other way, running ahead of the band, and then bam!, back on the beat.....

>More often than not, it's the wrong note that is the most
>important note. For me, that is what rock is all about--that
>always-threatening-to-collapse mix of chaos and order.

At various times, Jerry Garcia said that "playing the wrong note, at the
right time" was a big part of his soloing, and that "what you don't play is
as important as what you do" - something Chick Corea never figured out when
playing Thelonious Monk tunes!!!

>To be honest, truly
>technical players are so often also incredibly boring. Alex Lifeson, for
>example: a great player, sure, but he can't solo his way out of paper bag.
It's
>studied and boring, with maybe a few exceptions.

- and we can all think of culprits in this area, but I'll bite my tongue to
save offence.

Cheers,
ChrisW

"a cynic is a man who when he smells flowers looks around for a coffin" -
Bierce