HW:Recent v Old/Poll

Tue Dec 14 09:54:11 EST 1999

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Doug Pearson wrote:

> "Reefer Madness" definitely rules, but I also love "Steppenwolf" for having
> some of Calvert's most theatrical moments, and "Kadu Flyer" for its superb
> melodicism (just like all of Simon House's compositions), nice sitar drones
> and soprano sax.  One of the most disappointing things (for me) about Nik's
> 1995 US tour (captured on 'Past or Future') was that Len Del Rio played
> keyboards on that song instead of Simon (who was there, dammit!).  Len's a
> great synth player, but when it comes to keyboards, he's no Simon House
> (but Steve Swindells and Fred Reeves are the only HW keyboard players who
> even come remotely close to his talent IMO, and neither was in the band for
> very long).

        I have problems with ASAM, and they principally lie in the fact
that I just find the sound too slick and shallow. When the songs have been
played with other line-ups, e.g. the CB version of `Reefer Madness', and
the version of `Steppenwolf' on the '97 tour, they've shone. Only the
proggy keyboard ones belong in the sound of that album, and I do like
`Aubergine' and that `Kadu Flyer' is my favourite. But with the songs
with riffs, I just listen to their music-box sound levels with
heart-sinking disappointment each time. Though I'm generally singing along
by halfway through `Steppenwolf'.

        And Doug, you're entitled to your view of course, but Steve
Swindells? The man responsible for the *inspired* keyboard parts on
`Valium 10' and `British Tribal Music'? This must surely be some new use
of the word "talent" of which I was not previously aware...

        Is there anything legit. by HW with Fred Reeves on it, anyway? QEH
doesn't exactly leave me jaw-dropped. I'll rank Tim Blake close behind
Simon and Harvey not long after till someone convinces me otherwise.
Yours,
        Jon