Greatest Riff of the Millenium

flossbac flossbac at NLCI.COM
Thu Dec 16 00:13:12 EST 1999

> here's a fun game:
> ask any guitarist you know to play you the riff  from 'smells like teen
> spirit', then ask him to play you the riff from 'godzilla'. watch the fun
> begin!
> picking on a dead guy,
> rmayo

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying..... are you suggesting that these
two riffs are similar or what?  Really I think they're pretty
dissimilar--there are only 12 notes after all to choose from, so it's not
surprsing that the same chord progression or similar chord progressions get
used in dozens of songs (D C G anyone?).  After playing the two on my
guitar, I think I see what you mean, but I don't think there's any reason to
believe that Kurt Cobain was even thinking of Godzilla when he wrote Smells
Like Teen Spirit.  Rather, he was admittedly attempting to rip off the
Pixies.
John Majka
flossbac at nlci.com