HW:Theremin

dhuggins dhuggins at HYPERNOVA.NET
Thu Dec 30 12:32:26 EST 1999

Hawkwinders,

        I always wondered how Hawkwind got that eerie, spacey sound during the
Space Ritual Tour and associated era.   The albums either listed
"electronics" or "audio generator" as being played by Del or Dikmik.
According to this source, it was a "Theremin", which has an interesting
story all it's own. (It is a 20's era invention, and not a vitamin or
dietary supplement;).   I did see Del with his axe-thingy on Nik Turner's
Space Ritual tour (94-ish?), so this makes sense.

http://www.nashville.net/~theremin/TBandsAM.html#H  is the specific
reference to their use of this interesting instrument.

Other sites:

http://www.nashville.net/~theremin/      (actually the theremin homepage
for the band reference)
http://www.he.net/~enternet/teci/teci.html

        Also, I had always wondered what happened to Bob Moog (yes, designer and
builder of THE Moog(s)).  He is making, amongst other things, THEREMINS.
His company is Big Briar, based in North Carolina USA.

http://www.bigbriar.com/etherwaveproducts.htm

                Enjoy, Happy Holidays

                                Dave