BOC: Jaxx show on 1/29

Tue Feb 2 09:22:34 EST 1999

Oh dear, I do hope AB was at this show.  If not, he's not gonna want to
read the rest of this post...

Apparently Kasim Sulton did not play at the 1/29 Jaxx gig.  No, Allen
was not there either.  The 2nd guitar/keyboard duties were handled by
(and I assume that this one just for that night) SAVATAGE guitarist
Al Pitrelli.  No, I'm not making this up.  The following was posted
to Jack Heffling's BOC board:

Here's a review of Fri. nights (1/29) show at Jaxx in Springfield, VA.
BOC played before a nearly packed house, and the crowd was up for
the show. As BOC opened the show with Burnin', I was expecting to
see long time Todd Rundgren/Utopia bassist Kasim Sultin handling
the keyboards/guitar for the recovering Allen Lanier. Instead, Allen's
place was taken by Al Petrelli from the metal band; Savatage!
Apparantly, it was his first show with BOC, and it showed. The set
was SHORT! and lacked the energy that recent BOC shows have
displayed. Al was reading from sheet music and Danny Miranda spent
a great deal of the show on that side of the stage coaching Al and at
several points during the performance, calling out the cord changes
to Al.  Now, before I say anything else, let me say that dispite the
shows short length, and the problems breaking in the new member,
there was a lot of good music that night.  The set list went as
follows: (Note: I may have some of the songs slightly out of order, but
included all the songs played that night)

           Burnin'
           Cities On Flame
           ETI
           Buck's Boogie
           Harvest Moon
           Take Me Away
           See You In Black
           Flaming Telepaths
           Astronomy
           In Thee
           Me-262 (very short version)
           Godzilla ( Short Danny solo, OUTSTANDING!! Bobby drum solo!!)
           Reaper

           Encores:
           Dominence & Submission
           Red & Black

The highlights of the show for me were: A killer version of Take
Me Away, and Buck's solo on Astronomy.  Al Petrelli really couldn't
handle the key board solo on Flaming Telepaths, but on the guitar
break in the middle of Harvest Moon he really "smoked".   To be
fair to Al, I spoke (briefly) with him after the show and he took
the gig on short notice and actually did a good job considering the
amount of material he had to cover. I don't know what happened to
Kasim Sultin, but Al Petrelli should be thanked for helping out and
allowing BOC to continue to perform during Allen's recovery.
BOC is scheduled to perform in Fredrick MD. next Fri. at Exhale. I
might try and catch the show and see how Al has progressed since
the Jaxx show.

John