HW/OFF: New at Aural Innovations

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Tue Feb 2 22:24:14 EST 1999

Hi Folks...

<self-promotion mode on>

I've finished some things up for the Aural Innovations website (URL below),
and thought some of you might be interested in checking them out.

As I had posted earlier, I was working on creating a Scandinavian (incl.
Finland) map/link page that indicated the locations of all the space rock
and psychedelic bands.  Well, I've finished version 1.0, which is now up on
the AI site.  There are still a few bands to add (In the Labyrinth, ST.
Mikael, Simon Says, Motorpsycho?), and I'm not certain the ones I already
have are all properly located.  (For instance, I have Akasha in Finnsnes,
Norge, and can't now confirm that's where they were from. I'm afraid I may
have 'made that up' via random positioning during the map's creation.  Same
with Träd, Gräs, och Stenar (Göteborg?), and I only guessed on The Word of
Life (Stockholm), and optical blue (Umeå), based on their respective label
headquarters.  And where the heck *is* Korgsberga, home of darXtar!?!?  I
assume it's a suburb of Stockholm, but it must be pretty damn small, as no
map shows it.)  BTW, happy Cärl??  :)

Anyway, I hope that eventually we'll have a whole suite of maps (UK and
Germany next??) for use as web link devices, and for 'geographical
guidance.'  Any additions/corrections are still requested.

Also, the 'Space Rock' Xword puzzle I made for the most recent issue of
Aural Innovations (Issue #5) is also now up on the site.  Try it out and see
if you can trudge through it!  For the magazine, the puzzles are the basis
for a contest we'll be running each issue to win free CDs & stuff (the next
one's already prepared).  I don't believe that simply downloading the puzzle
from the web and submitting the solution to Jerry electronically (or
otherwise) will allow you to enter the contest...sorry.  Although, if you
were to send it in via snail mail (by 3/15) with a subscription order ($10/4
issues, $14 overseas), I think you would then be eligible to win the CDs
(listed below). (Sorry about the hard-line tactics, but we need the
subscribers to support doing the 'zine.)

I don't believe the puzzle should be too difficult for you all to solve,
though I can't really be sure, since I made it myself and all the answers
are hence eminently familiar to me.  But I hoped that unfamiliar clues would
turn folks towards looking up websites on particular bands and/or reading
other AI reviews and such to find some answers.  That I encourage.  But, of
course, I hope you'll all work independently, as opposed to posting the key
here on boc-l!!  I'm here, you know! :)  (And on spacerockers, pt-trans, isi
krautrock, r.m.p. etc. etc.)

Below are the directions for solving the puzzle, and how to enter if you
want to subscribe to the mag.  (Of course, if you already subscribe, or
purchased a single hard copy from a distributor, then your entry would
automatically be valid.)  BTW, if we get *many* more than five correct
solutions, then once the 5 CDs (listed below) are claimed via the random
drawing, that'll be it for prizes.  If there are something like 7 or 8 folks
that submit correct entries, then I'll probably come up with a couple of
other consolation prizes such that everyone gets something.  But you're not
absolutely guaranteed a free disc by ordering/entering...just so that's
clear.   Keith
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Send entries (with your name and address) to:

Jerry Kranitz
1364 W. 7th Ave., Apt. B
Columbus, OH  43212

Entries (1 per household) must be postmarked by March 15, 1999.  Any
solution will be deemed valid that correctly produces the lyrical quote;
however, though not graded for accuracy, the crossword puzzle must be
completed in its entirety.  Correct solution will appear in AI#6 (April,
1999).  From all valid entries, a random drawing will be held to determine
the five winners, also to be announced in AI#6.

Prizes (indicate your preferences and we'll try to award the prizes
accordingly):
1. Vocokesh - Paradise Revisited (1998) - Milwaukee, WI space rock (see
review in this issue)
2. Simon - Writing on the Cosmic Wheel (1998) - Pittsburgh, PA "space-hop"
(see review in AI#4)
3. Guru Guru - Space Ship compilation (1996) - Legendary German psych/
     freak-out masters
4. Kranky label sampler (1998) - Chicago, IL label that features
drone-rockers Magnog, Jessamine, Windy & Carl, Roy Montgomery, among      others
5. Krel - Ad Astra (1997) - UK space rock (see review in AI#3); courtesy
Peace of Mind Records
Keith H. (FAA)
Aural Innovations website:
http://www.infinet.com/~jkranitz/space/space.html