HW: Emperors New Clothes

andy davis pxr5 at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 4 06:13:45 EST 1999

Hi people,  I'm new here, but I've beewn following the BOC-L pages on
the web, for the past few months, and only just worked out how to
subscribe!!!  -   (Technophobia!!)

I thought that i would take the chance to voice my opinions:

I don't have any HF / PF "official" material, but had a couple of
pinkwind board tapes and a rather shaky video too! suffice it to say,
that they all were re-cycled as blank tapes!

>stuff like pinkwind (which i've heard; got the board tape)  and
>hawkfairies (which i havent heard)....is an emperor's new clothes
>kinda deal...you keep waiting for someone to stand up and say "look,
>this is sloppy crap from a bunch of stoned people"....and as such >it's
not heinous, but if i couldnt trade for it as a tape there's no >way i'd
spend money on it...

Maybe this isn't the right way of giving my first comment to the list,
but I can't help thinking that the direction in which the mighty hawks
are moving is the same kind of "emperor's new clothes" deal. I don't
mean to offer any personnal insult to any members in the band, but since
moving from a tight-knit 3-piece (A VERY big highlight in the Hawks'
career) the mothership seems to be drifting through space with it's
nova-drive totally packed-up.

I have only been exposed to the hawks since 1981, but I reminisce very
fondly of the 10-year-lasting Brock/Bainbridge/Llangton core, being
enhanced  superbly by Mr. Davey, and with Nik adding a touch of fun for
a couple of years. Let's not forget Danny T. or Richard either. Even
with Huw gone, and Simon House augmenting the live sound, this was their
finest hour in a brilliant 15 year cycle.

The Alien material, studio and live, was great, but the seeds seem to
have been sown for the hawks winter of discontent. The current direction
seems too fragmented, just a collection of musical input from the
various different members in the band, any one style may be fine by
itself, but when loosly combined, the plot is lost.

That said, I KNOW that Hawkwind will survive  -  it always does, and I
look forward to it's regeneration.  Let Ron get on with the job of
"being Bob Calvert", and for Christ's sake Dave, get Alan back on bass,
and Harvey back on keyboards (which will free up Mr. Brock for a bit
more of his excellent guitar work.)

Sorry to be so negative, but I couldn't help feel that I needed to say
this.  This is only my personal opinion, slag me off all you want! I
know that Hawkwind is a band that thrives on change, and to reminisce in
the past is fine for some of us, but the band has to develop, but let's
see it with it's Novadrive repaired and the mothership back on course!!

sincerely,

Andy Davies