HW: Emperors New Clothes

DASLUD at AOL.COM DASLUD at AOL.COM
Thu Feb 4 10:54:38 EST 1999

it's not like every critical remark is intended as an automatic sledgehammer
blow to the head....even in my own band days, an intelligent, even pointed
remark was much more interesting/valuable than "oh you guys are SO cool...."

personally, i think that the early '90s trio lineup was second only to the
lemmy era; i 'm not terribly enamored of the material dominated by calvert, or
later langton/bainbridge  (sorry folks)....brock has always been less of a
"generator" than a "conduit".....he doesnt INITIATE so much as he allows
things to take place around him....this is not a slam; such an approach has
clearly served him well, since it's 1999 and he's still being discussed>>>>>>

biggest difference between '91 and now is that hawkwind has become a "cottage
industry" and they are obliged to perpetuate themselves by "moving product"
in a way that wasnt exactly the case  in 91, much less previously....doug
smith has a great deal to do with this, and typically, brock has allowed this
to take place around him...again, not a slam>>>>we must note that the phrase
"moving product' in regards to hawkwind is on a very different scale than it
would be were we referring to, say, celine dion....