HW: Hawkfans in Cuba?

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Thu Feb 4 20:55:12 EST 1999

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999 15:14:57 +0000, Jon Browne <jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK> wrote:

>In article <E107e9C-00010s-00 at sand.global.net.uk>, XXX <boclist at HWIND.GL
>OBALNET.CO.UK> writes
>>    Does anyone know of any Hawkwind fans in Cuba?
>>
>>    Kris
>
>Still, at least you can get 40 Havana Cigars for your Chaos Shield copy
>of Warrior on the Edge Of Time.

The great thing is that my Chaos Shield copy of 'Warrior on the Edge of
Time' IS a veteran of the (no, not psychic!) cold war.  It's a German
pressing that somehow found its way into the Princeton Record Exchange
after having resided in the Radio Free Europe archives from '75 until the
Berlin Wall came down.  Same with my German 'Urban Guerilla', 'You'd Better
Believe It' and 'Kings of Speed' 7"s.  I can only imagine Czech hippies, on
their way back from a Plastic People of the Universe performance, furtively
tuning into RFE to get their dose of capitalist imperialist bourgeois
decadent music at the hands of ... Hawkwind!  Actually, given the condition
of the records, they obviously didn't get played very much on the radio
(too bad for Eastern Europeans during the 70s, but good for me now!).

Somehow, though, I doubt that too many Hawkwind records are in the
collection of Radio Free Marti (is that the name of the anti-Castro station
in Florida?).  At least not until Nik re-records "Master of the Universe"
with the lyrics that someone already quoted ...

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com