BOC: BOC/MC 5 connections?

Bolts of Ungodly Vision js3619 at WIZVAX.NET
Sat Feb 6 10:59:27 EST 1999

Hey there, here's some idle speculation and a hatful of poop for the mill:

Listening to the first 3 CDs again. (I have T&M on LP but no player here :(  )

I was wondering if Sandy P. and Murray K. were influence heavily
productionwise by Landau's work on MC5's _Back in the USA_.  Why might i
think this?
1.  ULTRA thin production sound on the first 2 especially.  The bass is
hardly prominent unless you tweak yer graphic equalizer at home.  THe same
situation is found with the 2nd MC 5 LP.  The bass is almost nonexistent.
Furthermore the treble end has the wonderful edginess particularly
prevalent on Tyranny (Buck's guitar sound, the crispness of Albert's cymbal
barrages) that _BItUSA_ has (citing "Looking at you" "American Ruse" "Human
Being Lawnmower" as good parallels).

2.  Come _High Time_, the 5 had a more produced, slicker sound, as in the
inclusion of the horn sections and good harmonica duels and the like on
"Sister Anne" "Skunk (SOnically Speaking)"     THe track "Miss X" always
seemed to hint at early Elvis Costello and the Attractions.   Essentially,
the slicker more complete sound of this is reminiscent of what the Oyster
Boys put down in the _Secret Treaties_, even down to the world leader story
penned by Wm. Fred in MC5 and the well known "Rossignol" synopsis.

Hmmmm. On a tangent, I let a friend big into punk borrow T&M and he could
hear it being punkish, not metallish. And he's never heard MC 5 so a case
an be made for waht I said above given the primordial placement of both
groups in the genres theyre usually pidgeonholed in.

Watching the David Roter Video 3rd time in 2 days (i just got it),
Jason