HW 97

Keith Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Sat Feb 6 17:38:09 EST 1999

Stuart offerred...

>We should be grateful that HW are still
>capable of hitting some heights, even if everyone has their own idea of
>what they should be doing.

Yeah, really, especially since three years ago, all the talk here was about
the Spaceship Hawkwind making their final landing, since everyone thought
Davey was quitting (well, he did leave about a year later) and Brock was
packing it in and never touring again.  They seem far from that now thankfully.

>Personally I can't be arsed with a lot of the
>synth noodles and plastic reggae they chuck in now and then, but I also
>recall hurling Choose Your Masques against a wall after hearing it the
>first time howling obscenities about "selling out" and "f***ing keyboards"
>and "Tangerine Dream".  A similar reaction had greeted "Sonic Attack".  I
>derided "Electric Tepee", and still won't give most of the early "classic"
>albums house room.  Much as I love Motorhead, I can't listen to most of the
>Lemmy era albums.

Well, just what Hawkwind *do* you like?!?!? :) You've pretty much blown off
over half of their career!  I guess you're a big fan of late 70's Calvert
era (esp. since Zeitgeist = Spirit of the Age), and perhaps Chronicles era
(which I almost never listen to anymore...Sleep of 1000 Tears was the only
good song from that album, and I'm including Moonglum - which everyone seems
to like except me).  And "can't listen to most of the Lemmy era albums"...
Wow!  I think you're going to be alone on that one.  Everyone's entitled to
their own opinion, but I'm not sure where you're coming from.  I mean...I
really like Electric Tepee, and Choose Your Masques, and Warrior is my
favourite album of all time.  It was the period just after Choose Your
Masques that was their low point.

Keith H. (FAA)

P.S.  Am I the only one here who doesn't know who Larry B. is??  I've been
racking my brain to no avail...please introduce yourself, Larry.