HW: 1999 Party

Sun Feb 7 16:56:09 EST 1999

On lör 6 feb 1999 19.56 +0000 DASLUD at AOL.COM wrote:
> it's got too much CANNED APPLAUSE for one thing, (remember "KISS ALIVE"?)
and
> while i'm working on proving it, i dont think it's all from that chicago
date
> either>>>

     Darned if I would know--I've not much to compare it too.

>and i sure don't get why this EMI release sounds so much inferior to
> "space ritual"  recorded 15 months before....>>>>

     Mixed differently than SR?  There was some speculation on the
list that Dave mixed down his guitar on the album release, in
keeping with the reduced presence of his guitar at modern gigs.
Perhaps it would have sounded different if mixed in 74?  Who
knows.  I was pretty blown away by 1999 Party when it came out,
and still listen to it regularly.  I'm not holding my breath in
the same way for the long-rumoured "Live 76" album which is
supposed to be lurking somewhere.  I'd far rather see an official
release of something like Live at Reading 1992 ... preferably
mixed by Chris Goss :)

     Hmm, that's a good idea.  Bring in Chris Goss to produce a
new Hawkwind album.  Ah, dream on, eternal warriors .... ;)

> you realize the entire edmonton sundown 1/26/74 was very likely
> recorded...this show included the  original performances which would
become
> the released versions
> of "paradox", "you'd better believe it" and "it's so easy"....bob calvert
made
> one of his few 1974 appearances at this show>>>>but>>>>(wait for
it)....simon
> house was NOT present at this show; his parts were overdubbed in the
> studio...now that you mention it, the "1999 party" tour was his first as
an
> official hw member>>>

     An official release of Edmonton Sundown would be a fine thing
if someone has the tapes somewhere.  The named tracks are certainly
among my HW faves.  I have always consider them "lost Hawkwind" in a
way, since they don't have anything like the presence of other material
from that era in the sets of later line-ups.  When was the last time
HW played "It's So Easy"?  Not recently, that's for sure!

> i believe the cd set is the first "new" lemmy-era hw to be released since
he
> got the boot in '75....the darkest hawkwind day of all....

     Barring, I suppose, in a way, the full versions of "Brainstorm"
and "Time We Left" on SR2.  Those really should have been restored
on the remastered albums, IMO.

Cheers,
Carl

--