HW: Bedouin

Sun Feb 7 19:50:40 EST 1999

On sön 7 feb 1999 19.23 -0500 "Bolts of Ungodly Vision" <js3619 at WIZVAX.NET>
wrote:
> At 11:53 PM 2/7/99 +0000, you wrote:
>>Part
>>of my continuing campaign to convince students grooving to
>>the current "stoner" (dreadful term!) bands that HW and Co.
>>are things they need to know about :)
>
> True, true. Back in my day (a.k.a 1.5 years ago), the collegiate
population
> was extremely unyeilding to music that wasnt sanctified by the
tastemongers
> of america.  However, graduate school is a bit more freewheeling in its
> aural openess.

     Youth are seldom open to the untrendy.  But luckily the
"stoner/desert rock" seen is relatively trendy at the moment,
and it's no effort at all to convince people who like Kyuss
that _Space Ritual_ is pretty cool ... once you've convinced
them to listen to it.
     It's actually mostly undergrads to whom I'm evangelizing.
Though I will shamelessly say there might be a few Cambridge
grad students not unfamiliar with this list who would be
wealthier and less HW intensive had I not been here :)

> What bothers me most is the absolute SILENCE of the offices.
> I cannot see how they can work in a tomb. I assume its different where you
> are Carl, since youre there carrying the space rock onwards in its crusade
> to kick ass wheerver it touches down.

     Barring the library, I work in my room :)  So I can kick
out the jams as necessary :)

     But mostly I try to con people from the uni rock society
into checking out new stuff.  It can be uphill task, but
every soul won to the light is a victory.  Thanks to Metallica's
"Astronomy" cover, that opened the door for me to evangelize
BOC as well.  Halleluia!

> Speaking of touring and mighty mighty rock music, pollstar.com has a
gaggle
> (yes, a gaggle) of European tour dates for Bevis Frond.  After listening
> more by the group/Nick, I am throughly convinced of Frond's rocking
> capacity, not to mention laying down a wicked electric guitar barrage.

     Definitely.  Nick can "play a bit", as they say :)

--
Carl Edlund Anderson
Dept. of Anglo-Saxon, Norse, & Celtic
mailto:cea20 at cus.cam.ac.uk